I don't know if everyone feels this way, but I feel a base urge within that I am supposed to be making music. This is problematic because I am not naturally talented with music. I don't think that it is the desire to live like a rock star because I'm not attracted to that lifestyle, but I do admire those who wake to make music.
I am certainly a music appreciator. Anyone who knows my taste in music or has talked about music with me could probably tell that I'm passionate about what I listen to. I am also critical with music. It has to be good for me to listen to it. My general criteria for listening to music are:
1) Good instrumentals
2) Good lyrics
3) Good artist/purpose/story behind music
For me to enjoy a song, it really only needs to meet one of those three criteria. If it meets all three... well then... I'm probably going to go somewhere else in my mind when I listen to it. This might make my obsession with bands like Beirut clear for some of you.
I want to use this post to comment on all things music, either making it or appreciating it.
I will continue to practice making music when I have time because although waking to make music may not be my purpose until my late eighties/early nineties, I owe it to myself to learn the fundamentals now. My first album is dropping in December 2076.
2 new albums came out when I was in the field this last week that I'm excited about.
The Black Keys - Brothers
Ben Sollee and Daniel Martin Moore - Dear Companion
Here's a link to a story about Ben Sollee's new album.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126978698
I titled this post, 'identity in music' for a couple different reasons. I think that music plays a large role in both societal culture and personal culture. Someone may write a song for one reason and I identify with it for a different reason because of my own life experiences. Also, the base urge I feel to make music might be coming from a subconscious desire to express my own unique identity. Is this how culture is formed?
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment